Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Annie Lennox - "No More 'I Love You's'"


Each year during my high school spring break, I would spend a week at my grandparent's condo in Bradenton, Florida.  (Don't judge: my grandparents were pretty damn cool.)  During spring break 1995, I remember a Tampa radio station airing a feature called "Make It or Break It" where they would play a new song and then the listeners would vote whether to continue playing the song ("make it") or to never play it again ("break it").  That day's featured song was "No More 'I Love You's'" by Annie Lennox.  Unfortunately for Lennox, Tampa radio listeners overwhelmingly rejected the song.  I remember the DJ saying something like 84% of people voted to "break it."  Those Tampa listeners clearly didn't have much influence on the Grammy Awards because "No More 'I Love You's'" went on win the 1995 Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.