Friday, October 23, 2015

Edwin McCain - "I Could Not Ask For More"

I worked as a Morning Show Producer for an Adult Contemporary radio station in the early-2000s.  One such interview I scheduled for the morning show was a phone interview with Edwin McCain.  McCain had two huge hits to close out the 20th Century: "I'll Be" and "I Could Not Ask for More".  There's a special phone line in radio studios called the "hot line".  Only station personnel is supposed to use the hot line, but we also give that number to publicity people when we book interviews.  When the hot line rang that morning, a man with a thick country accent said, "Hello, I'm Edwin McCain.  I believe I have an interview with y'all."  I almost didn't put the call through believing it to be a prank.  But, low and behold, Edwin has quite the thick southern accent.