Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Joe Jackson - "Steppin' Out"

I was fortunate to grow up in Chicago (technically Northwest Indiana) and watched WGN-TV with Harry Caray calling Cubs games after school and The Bozo Show before school.  My family waited years for tickets and finally attended The Bozo Show in 1984.  This happened just a few shows before Bob Bell retired as Bozo T. Clown and a year prior to Frazier Thomas' death.  I was only in the first grade, but I still recall the awe of "live" television.  The studio seemed so much larger on TV and I couldn't believe that we sat on what amounted to bleachers, but it didn't matter.  We were on The Bozo Show, dammit!  Unlike most children, I prayed that my number wouldn't get selected by the Bozo-Puter because I couldn't imagine the pressure of The Grand Prize Game.  Some at-home player would be counting on me for a brand new, crisp $50 bill and Schwinn Bicycle.  I also remember The Big Top Band playing their trumpets so loudly that it made me cover my ears (which is exactly NOT what the show's producers wanted from their studio audience).  My cousin and brother (somehow) got selected to play a game of co-ed Whiffle ball.  My brother hit the ball so hard that it nailed one of the cameramen causing his fellow cameramen to razz him.  We walked out with some Tootsie Rolls and Payday candy bars and a story to share with our friends with the hopes of making them jealous.  Professor Andy and his synthesizer replaced the aging Big Top Band in 1987 & used to go to commercial breaks playing Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out".  The song is actually about cheating on your spouse, but to me it will always be associated with The Bozo Show.