Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Leann Rimes - "Can't Fight The Moonlight"

Five years ago today, my then-girlfriend's cousin got married and they threw a low-budget Thursday afternoon wedding (full disclosure: he is a veteran and it was Veteran's Day).  The budget-conscious couple asked me to DJ the wedding reception.  Although I worked in radio, I had never before DJ'd a wedding.  No worries, they assured me, they only had the reception hall until 8pm.  After the wedding got underway about 30 minutes late, the allotted time for dancing at the reception shrunk to about 70 minutes.  This amounted to being able to play about 20-25 songs.  The couple provided me with a list of song suggestion from a link on their wedding website where people could make requests.  Somehow Leann Rimes' "Can't Fight the Moonlight" was one of those requests.  Not only that, but that same person brought her CD that contained "Can't Fight The Moonlight" with her.  Given the tight playlist, I was never able to squeeze in the song at the reception.  At the conclusion of the event, I announced the final song (Guns 'n Roses "November Rain", by request of the bride & groom) and then was promptly booed.  I will never DJ another wedding.