Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sting - "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You"

Woodmar Records opened a record store in Schererville, Indiana in 1992 which meant that my friends and I would ride our bikes down busy US 41 to buy the latest music (usually on cassette or CD).  While my friend Matt was perusing the latest Smashing Pumpkins or Nirvana album, I was checking out their selection of "cassingles" (one song on a cassette tape).  Woodmar had quite the bargain: $3.99 for one cassingle or you could buy three for $9.  What a deal!  This took some thought as I already had Dr. Alban's "It's My Life" in hand along with Eric Clapton's unplugged version of "Layla".  I wasn't about to pass up their three for $9 deal, so the hunt continued.  I eventually chose Sting's "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You" as my third cassingle.  This caused my friend Pat not to question my choice of Dr. Alban, but rather Sting.  "Why would you spend money on that song when you can turn on any radio station at any time and hear that song?" he asked.  Good point. (Editor's note: I realized this song was covered in a previous post.  My bad.)