Thursday, July 19, 2018

Bruce Springsteen "Brilliant Disguise"

"Brilliant Disguise" is a more introspective song from Bruce Springsteen that echoed his state-of-mind toward his new bride, Julianne Phillips, at the time. His Tunnel of Love album alluded to unhappiness between the two. "Brilliant Disguise" questions a man's feelings toward his wife who he feels is a stranger. Phillips and Springsteen later divorced leading Bruce to Patti Scialfi who had toured with the band at the time in support of Tunnel of Love. Fans weren't shy about sharing their displeasure on Springsteen's new relationship. In a 1995 interview, he said,
"It's a strange society that assumes it has the right to tell people whom they should love and whom they shouldn't. But the truth is, I basically ignored the entire thing as much as I could. I said, 'Well, all I know is, this feels real, and maybe I have got a mess going here in some fashion, but that's life.'"