Thursday, April 7, 2016

Norah Jones - "Come Away With Me"

A good friend of mine was getting married on a warm Saturday in October of 2005.  Since I was the best man and knew someone working on the air that morning in Chicago, I set up a special on-air "shout out" that morning.  I let my friend know that the shout-out was coming up in a matter of minutes, but he freaked out because he and his parents were dining at Sophia's Pancake House a few blocks from his parent's Indiana home.  He then jumped up from his seat at the restaurant and went to the manager who was working the cash register.  "Can you change the radio station?" he asked.  The look on the manager's face seemed to say "no" causing my friend to blurt out: "I'm getting married today and the DJ on 101.9 The Mix is about to play a song for us!".  The manager quickly changed the radio station and then asked all his pancake-loving patrons to be quiet.  Following Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me", my friend and all of Sophia's Pancake House in Highland, Indiana were treated to a little shout-out from my DJ friend Nikki.  I'm confident that could have been the best wedding gift that wasn't on their registry.