Saturday, December 31, 2016

Toni Basil - "Mickey"

Being the low man on the totem pole at the radio station, I was assigned the 8pm to midnight shift on New Year's Eve in 1996.  I was all of 19 years old and (believe it or not) didn't drink, so me and my girlfriend manned the controls that evening.  My role was quite simple as the entire shift was voice-tracked (meaning someone else had already recorded all the intros to the songs -- my job was to play back those tracks).  The shift opened with an hour of 80s music ("The 80s at 8") followed by three hours of music.  I learned what happens when the music director schedules the music long before the commercials are merged -- as there was about 45 minutes of music scheduled and only about 5 minutes of commercials.  That meant I had 10 minutes to fill.  So, I quickly hurried to find music.  I found an 80s compilation CD and cued up the first song.  It was "Mickey" from Toni Basil.  Fine.  I hated the song, but I needed a song (or three) to fill out the hour.  After I started the song, I lowered the volume of the speaker in the studio and went back to finding another song to use as a time filler.  At some point, the hotline to the radio station started to ring.  The hotline is a special phone number for employees of the station to call if and when they need to speak to the DJ (I would later learn the Program Director only calls this number to yell at the on-air talent).  A strobe light illuminates whenever someone called this number, so it always got your heart racing as your inner voice screamed "What?!? What did I do?!?".  The person who called the hotline that New Year's Eve was the woman who did traffic for the station.  Our traffic folks worked at a remote facility and could hear the station through their headphones.  She told me how happy she was to hear the song playing while she was stuck working on New Year's Eve and how it was making her laugh.  Laugh?  Why would "Mickey" make her laugh, I wondered?  Anyway, I explained to her how I needed to fill some time and then she informed me that I was playing the SPANISH version of "Mickey"(!).  WHAT?!? (¿Como?)  I quickly raised the volume and sure enough...I was playing the damn Spanish version of the already awful song ("Mickey tu eres bien").  This was one of my first major freak outs in radio and I was convinced I would be fired or, at the very least, never find my name on the schedule again.  Thankfully, luck was on my side that night as none of the bosses happened to be listening (or they were already drunk) and it was never mentioned (until today).