Wednesday, April 26, 2017

America - "You Can Do Magic"

In the fall of 2001, an Adult Contemporary radio station hired me to produce the morning show.  I remember agreeing to take the position and then going to Google and typing "what does a radio producer do".  Despite the fact that I worked nearly 45 hours each week, the position was considered part-time.  That meant my paycheck reflected working 35 hours and there were no benefits (no insurance, 401K, vacation time, etc.).  My budget reflected this as I paid over $300 each month for a COBRA from my previous job.  My grocery shopping bags were typically filled with generic versions of brand name food items.  I remember proclaiming to my roommates that once the radio station hired me full time, my days of buying Magic Twinkles cereal were over.  Instead, I would splurge and buy Lucky Charms.  In 2002, the station hired me on full-time, and I happily posed for a photo holding that coveted box of Lucky Charms.