Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Pointer Sisters "Jump (For My Love)"

Our parents purchased an in-ground swimming pool just in time for the summer of 1984. It was a bold purchase for my parents as my Dad claimed (at the time) that our family was living beyond its means. One of our neighbors on the cul-de-sac where we lived revealed that, upon learning of my parents intention to put in a pool, our immediate neighbors stayed up well past midnight figuring out a way to put in a pool of their own. Keeping up with the Jones' was alive and well in our quaint Indiana town.

As you would expect, every family member volunteered to babysit my brother and me that summer in exchange for use of the pool. More times than not, our aunt Marybeth played the role of babysitter. She was just 20 years old and still lived with her parents (our grandparents), so she was a fixture at our house that June, July and August. She always traveled with her boom box and would crank up B-96 for the entire backyard to hear. We were usually treated to The Pointer Sisters big hit from that summer: "Jump (For My Love)". My brother, cousin and I immediately would jump into the pool and quickly exit in time for the next command of "Jump" from The Pointer Sisters. I was merely seven years old, but it remains one of my favorite summers of all-time.