Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Chris Isaak "Can't Do Anything (to Stop Me)"

A man begins an affair with a woman and then the two are unable to stop it. That's the story behind Chris Isaak's sultry ballad "Can't Do Anything (to Stop Me)". The steamy ballad made its way onto Adult Contemporary radio in 1993 accompanied by a sultry video (by 1993 standards) that aired on VH-1.

(The following is an alternate blog post for today) 

Before I write these, I always make it a point to listen to the songs on YouTube. Why? Well, if it's a terrible song--I feel it's my duty to listen to the song as it wouldn't be fair to make you read about something that I avoided, right? The same goes with songs that I liked back in the day. Will my like/dislike of the song(s) hold up today? That question typically isn't a slam-dunk. In the case of "Can't Do Anything (to Stop Me)", prior to today, I never heard of the song. While perusing the list of popular Adult Contemporary songs from April 1993, I spotted this sultry Chris Isaak tune and immediately went to YouTube to give it a listen. Believe it or not, I found myself intrigued. This song, much like its theme of an affair that neither side can stop, was irresistible. Even if the song continued another five minutes or so, I would have felt cheated. So far, I've listened to it four times and I have no plan on stopping...