Thursday, May 14, 2015

Styx - "Show Me The Way"

Following a weekend bachelor party in Las Vegas, I stood alone at the gate waiting to board our Southwest flight back to Chicago/Midway.  Nearby, I noticed a man seated at the gate who resembled former Styx lead singer Dennis DeYoung.  From Dennis' many trips through radio stations I worked in the '90s, I recall that he always wore sunglasses whether he be inside or outside, night or day.  This particular man was wearing sunglasses and was also accompanied by a woman with strikingly-blonde hair who looked like Dennis' wife.  I also recognized her from the couple's many radio station tours.  I immediately phoned my friend who was eating dinner at the opposite end of the terminal.  "Pat, get over here," I told him, "Dennis DeYoung is on our plane!"  Within a few minutes Pat, Matt, and other members of our entourage were in tow.  This happened in 2005, so cell phone technology had not yet advanced...but it was advanced enough for Pat to quickly download the ringtone for "Mr. Roboto" to his phone.  Once in line and standing behind Dennis DeYoung, we all took turns calling Pat's cell while boarding the plane.  The man never once flinched...not even when we kept using Styx song titles in our conversations with one another.  Too Much Time On My Hands?  Perhaps.  But I know it was you, Dennis...