Friday, August 24, 2018

Meat Loaf "Not A Dry Eye in the House"

My college girlfriend looked through my sock drawer one night and curiously asked why I had a handkerchief with the words "Not A Dry Eye in the House" printed on it.

The short answer: I got it from work.

The long answer: I had an internship where I assisted the radio station's midday DJ. This DJ, who became my mentor and helped me start in the business, doubled as the station's Music Director--meaning she was in charge of creating daily music logs, among other things. Record labels constantly contacted her in hopes of getting an "add". An "add" is when a radio station adds a new song to their playlist. Record companies would sometimes attempt to sweeten the pot by sending chotskies to get that elusive add. In the case of Meat Loaf's "Not A Dry Eye in the House", the record company created handkerchiefs with the song's title printed on them. The song never went on to be a US hit, but I held onto that handkerchief for years. I never used it, but was just excited to have something from my unpaid internship.