Monday, October 8, 2018

'N-Sync "This I Promise You"

My first foray into AOL chat rooms happened in 2000 when I sat using my mom's house computer one late Saturday night. While checking email, a pop-up box exploded onto the extra-large monitor that said "You live in Schererville???". Against any advice I would offer someone today, I responded with a resounding "Yes!" followed by a couple questions about how she knew this information and also who the heck she was. Some young girl who claimed to live in Schererville was on the other end of this message. At this point, I was actually living in Chicago, but my AOL account still listed me as living in Schererville, Indiana. After some more introductions, she asked what I did for a living. Instead of telling her about my full-time job (selling classified ads to dog breeders for a national magazine), I revealed my part-time gig: radio DJ at Windy 100 in Chicago.

Her response: "Cool. Do you play 'N-SYNC????"

"Indeed, I do," I said knowing that the only song we played was "This I Promise You" (which was written by former Adult Contemporary darling Richard Marx). She was pretty excited to hear this and promised to listen (I worked midnight until 5am, so I doubt she ever did).

From what I remember, I again heard from that same girl months later when I was back at my mom's house using her AOL. The second time her message was nothing more than "HEY!" so I certainly hope she finally found something else to do.